Friday, February 16, 2007

'C' is for Cookies and Concert

‘A’ is for ‘A Cookie’..
‘B’ is for ‘Big Cookie’..
‘C’ is for ‘COOKIE!!!’
*munch munch munch* -Cookie Monster

yesyes, I’m back with another update after quite a while.. ok so anyway..

I baked me cookies again on Saturday. Tried to get all the same ingredients and stuff but somehow the NTUC at Serangoon doesn’t have a lot of stuff. For crying out loud, they don’t even sell any kind of hot-chocolate mix.. and they didn’t have any chocolate chips either.. something tells me that if I want to bake and/or barbecue, I should NOT go to NTUC to get stuff.. Cold Storage is a better choice, then again, the NTUC at Bishan seems to be doing very well, so far, it hasn’t disappointed.. we shall see.. so I ended up getting some Nestle brand white chocolate chip thingy.. thankfully they turned out well..

That’s how the batter looks like after mixing the white and dark chocolate chips.. it tastes quite good actually.. and looks interesting too..

Alright, for the full recipe and a step by step walk-through of the whole baking process and what-nots, refer to my Famous Alvin Cookies entry.. the only difference this time, I guess, is that I used the white chocolate chip thing.. I had some left over Hersheys Semi-Sweet choc chip, abt ¾ cup, so I used a mixture of both. And instead of using 2 portions of milo mix, I had err.. hmm.. I think it’s 12 teaspoons of milo powder.. alright, so much for the mix. I managed to squeeze 16 cookies onto 1 cookie sheet.. that’s a record so far, I haven’t dared to try 25.. they might just spread and stick to each other and I’ll get ONE BIG COOKIE.. that isn’t so bad after all but well.. nevermind. So that means I get 32 cookies per batch since I use 2 cookie sheets.. good. VERY GOOD. =)

TOP: The first batch that I tried with 16 cookies on 1 sheet.
Bottom: The 16 after 35 mins.. looks good, they don’t touch each other, so this saves me so much time..

At the end of the day.. I had me approx 300 cookies.. total amount spent: approx $20. Having 300 cookies all to urself and the satisfaction of baking them: PRICELESS!

That’s the day’s yield. More than 300 cookies.. Beeps said it almost looks overwhelming peering into a tub so full of cookies.. haha, how often is that.



This week was also the week for the Jazz and Blues concert. Lunchtime concert rather.. seems like for this whole semester, there’s only gonna be one event. So for the whole academic year, seems like this is the only major thing that the committee has planned. Well, I mean hey, no one’s complaining *grin*.. =) (boss, if you’re reading this, just ignore the above sentence). So thankfully it turned out pretty well I’d say. Abit of scares here and there, musicians late, the van we rented is just one step away from blowing up and etc.. but on the whole, everything worked out. Thank God. We started just slightly pass noon and ended close to one-thirty. There was a HUGE crowd, even though there was this other event happening upstairs.. but thanks to the foresight of the planners, we got us a strategic place just outside the canteen. Haha, you’re in Singapore, anywhere with food, there’s gonna be people. =) oh and the really cool part about the Club.. All the drummers are ladies.. all 4 bands! How cool is that la? Haha.. the world’s changing my friend.


LEFT: The bands practicing on Monday night.. all the way past 11 in the night.
RIGHT: Samuel and Lina doing a final run through before the event.


We set up a booth to allow people to write their dedications.. quite cool.. as I was taking the pictures, it almost felt like a wedding reception where people will write their best wishes to the newly wed couple. Haha.. too bad I didn’t get to sell my cookies. *sigh*


Meet 2 of the 4 ladies who drum for the Club.


That’s Keshav on the keyboard. He apparently started a Jazz Club while studying in the previous school. He defines talent. And that’s Derek on the bass, he was the pioneer batch who started/formed the Jazz and Blues Club in NTU while he was here. He’s now doing his PostGraduate studies in NIE and decided to return to the Club.


LEFT: That’s Vinn the emcee for the event. Really interesting name, when I first contacted the emcee club and they told me that the person who will be assisting us was ‘Vinn’, I thot they were joking with me.. like making fun of my name or something..
RIGHT: That’s what happens after moving all that nonsense and equipment to and from the concert venue, sweating away in a cranky van with spoiled windows and hot aircon and no food since morning..

Next week’s gonna be the Lunar/Chinese New Year.. you know, I never fancied this time of the year, I always like the Christmas mood with the soothing carols in the background, the nice winds blowing, the pretty lights as you stroll down and soak in the pretty Christmas atmosphere.. it sort of has this calming effect.. nice and serene. That is such a contrast compared to the BRIGHT RED EVERYTHING that is all around and the noise that they make and the OH MY GOODNESS TURN THAT DOWN kinda music that sticks in ur head.. Haha.. I think the only reason that I’d like CNY is the yummy treats and not forgetting the red packets. Heh.. if you’d take those 2 away, I think I’d dig a hole and hide in it. Shoo..

1 comment:

jon said...

i'd like to check out the female drummers. haha. that's an extremely rare sight.

and your cookies look too perfectly shaped. not nice..hahahha...=)